Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Wait, She's In WHAT Grade...?!?

 Well, the school year is off to a good start, with Miriam reporting that the first two days of 10th grade went... um...

Waitaminit...

TENTH grade?!?  The Pipsqueak is a sophomore in high school?!?

Egad. Yikes. Holy frikkin' passage of too many years too fast, Batman!

Yep, the kid's started her 2nd year of high school and is just a few months away from my having to return to my sister's long-ago edict -- circa 2008 -- of it being my responsibility to help teach her how to drive.  (And park... Especially how to park, since my otherwise very capable sister has yet to develop prowess in that one specific art, LOL.)

Miriam's actually got her schedule about 90% worked out for her junior and senior years already, too. She took a required Tech class in summer school to make room for more of the other classes she wants and/or needs during the regular year, and two of her classes are AP and I think another is Honors. She's on the school's pep band again, is one of the leaders of the Wellness Committee, is on the school paper's staff, and is in at least two other clubs I can't remember at the moment. She'll also be trying out for a dancing role in the school's production of "Mama Mia" in about two weeks, and also hopes to be part of the cast (again, as a dancer) for the annual Rock 'N' Roll Review next Spring.  Oh, and let's not forget that she's still dancing competitively on her studio's team and performing a variety of Chinese ethnic dances with another teacher as in previous years.

I made the mistake of calling her an "overachiever" this past weekend, and she let me know in absolutely no uncertain terms that she did not appreciate it in the least. We talked a bit, and I had to agree that she really is not an "overachiever" -- she's just someone who knows what she wants, knows what she has to do to achieve her goals, and has the innate talent and intelligence to do so. Oh, it takes a lot of work (and sometimes a lot of stress), and she seeks out help when she needs it... but Miriam is definitely someone who is intent on living up to her potential.

(Before anyone yells "TIGER MOM!" at my sister, the irony is that she, Mom, and I periodically have to remind Miriam that it really, truly, absolutely is OK to not get an "A" in every class -- not the other way 'round.)

So what I should be saying is... My niece the achiever is, by personal choice, doing her best to achieve her goals and work to the fullest capacity of her potential in ways that Yours Truly couldn't even dream of. And, despite some of the less happy life lessons that often accompany one's teenage years, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty darn good year.

Now if I could only figure out how she grew up so much so freakin' fast...!



No comments:

Post a Comment