Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Whoops, Falling Behind...!

"Sorry about that, Chief!" Life seems to have gotten complicated again. Nothing really awful, just... complicated.  I honestly hadn't realized that my last several blog posts actually existed only in my (slightly warped) mind.

I've got a half-finished post I'm still editing on Pipsqueakisms, have managed to stifle myself prior to posting what would've been a really, really nasty essay about a traffic court judge, and have repeatedly been driven to distraction / laughter / gasps / desperation (or any combination thereof) by my niece.

One quick update note... about a week ago, Miri and her Grandpa were teasing each other (a hobby they share), with the Pipsqueak sort of whacking him on the chest -- something Miri usually does with us all, we're still working on that "gently" thing, but she's pretty good about it these days -- and Grandpa gently bopping her atop the head in response. (Dude, they're gonna think your family's a bunch of maladjusted violent brawlers, you should explain it's all very gentle, with lots of explanations of the difference between playing and hitting, and that your niece has a very well-developed sense of what's teasing versus what's real... I would, but you just told 'em yourself... Oh, yeah, okay, carry on...)

[ahem] As I was saying... There was some playful, teasing back-and-forth bopping going on. At some point, Grandpa asked Miri why she wasn't hitting Mommy instead of him...

...and the Pipsqueak turned around, gave her Mommy a big hug, and said, "I won't hit Mommy because I love her!"

I missed this because I was at work, but I have it from a trustworthy source that my little sister had a little trouble speaking out loud for a couple of minutes afterwards.  (Of course, upon hearing the story, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to remind AJ of her fears that the Pipsqueak wouldn't remember she was supposed to be her Mommy when she first returned to work... Amazingly, she let the remark pass with just a chuckle.)

It all kinda made up for the Pipsqueak requiring (yes, requiring -- Grandma's been known to smilingly refer to her as The Little Dictator) that I re-play The Wiggles' rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" seven times in a row this past weekend... [sigh]

Okay, gotta run, will do a "real" post soon, I promise...!

No comments:

Post a Comment