My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Looking Back - Plus Two (July 19)

Two years ago today, we had a somewhat rough morning; the Pipsqueak was in a bad mood, and I found that sleeping on my side on the extra-hard bed had actually left me bruised. After inhaling breakfast, we joined the other families and headed off to the Pipsqueak's required medical exam. [original post & photos here.]  The walk through the Shamian Island neighborhood was warm but pleasant, and AJ & I thought the pictures of Pooh and Piglet in the windows of an elementary school we passed and hanging in one of the examination rooms were a good omen. Omen, schmomen, the Pipsqueak let us know in no uncertain terms what she thought of even the most perfunctory poking and prodding by medical personnel, and we were glad to get out of the clinic with our eardrums intact.

We returned to the White Swan and all got together in the play room to complete the paperwork for our consular visit... at least, that's what AJ did once we found the room, since it seemed to keep moving as we searched for it. What yours truly did was try to deal with Little Miss Dontputmedown, who eventually tired herself out and fell asleep laying on my tummy. [Original post & photos here.] With the major milestone of consular paperwork completed, we walked to a nearby restaurant for a unique lunch experience, then returned to the hotel for an extended afternoon session of catching up to ourselves while dealing with a crochety, clingy, unhappy Pipsqueak. Eventually we settled in for the night, hoping Miri was just having a bad day... and nervous about whether or not the U.S. Consulate would approve the paperwork the next day.

One year ago today... well, there really wasn't anything terribly special that day, which is a milestone of a kind: life with Miri was our "normal" and some of the edges were beginning to wear off the memories of our time in China. I was still trying to figure out how to put together an adoption video, and discovered that the last few blank recordable DVDs at the bottom of the spindle were only good for making drink coasters when I tried copying photos of the trip onto them.

Today, the Pipsqueak returned to day care (which left her exhausted grandparents missing her but very relieved) and everyone just did what they needed to do. I had a meeting with my boss about some odd emails, AJ tried to keep up with all the things not getting done because her aide is on vacation... and I'm waiting to see if the special "difficult plastics" super glue I bought has actually repaired the Pipsqueak's princess crown. <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment