Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year... Some Wishes

Goodbye, turbulent 2012!

Hello, still-unwritten 2013!

In hopes that the young child with the "2013" sash dragging a too-big scythe & hourglass behind is listening, a few wishes...

I wish for good health and happiness for my parents, my sister, my niece... and the rest of the human family.

I wish for a year in which "common sense" is less of an oxymoron (or at least one with less emphasis on the "moron" part).

I wish for a year in which a majority of people wake up to the fact that acrimonious back-stabbing, name-calling, in-your-face confrontation achieves no positive results, builds no trust, deserves no respect, and is not acceptable behavior from anyone of any age.

I wish for a year in which "different" returns to simply meaning "not the same" and loses all pretense of being a judgement of value, honor, trustworthiness, morality, ethics, worthiness, or privilege.

I wish for a year in which Russia stops screwing over its orphans and American citizens seeking to adopt them.

I wish for a year in which it stops being made necessary for mothers to give up their children for adoption for any reason.

I wish for a year in which children stop being given up for adoption as a lifestyle choice by those who give birth to them because they had made other plans for their lives and stopped paying attention to what they were doing.

I wish for a year in which those who choose to adopt are no longer considered baby thieves, destroyers of families, or just over-privileged spoiled brats seeking to make collections of babies like they make collections of stamps or beer mugs.

I wish for a year in which adult adoptees' desire to learn more about their origins, their genetic risks for disease, and the source of their eye color/hair color/skin color/anything else stops being considered criminal activity.

I wish for a year in which the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots narrows significantly (and remains that way afterwards).

I wish for a year in which all those needing help coping with the world around them can easily get the help they need and are able to afford it for as long as they need it.

I wish for a year in which no U.S. citizen has to worry about losing rights guaranteed by the Constitution and its amendments, and in which no U.S. citizen has to worry about losing their property, livelihood, or lives to individuals who take undue and extreme advantage of those rights.

I wish for a year in which rights are rights and people are people and we all learn how to live the lives we feel we should without trying to block others from doing the same.

And finally, I wish for a year of happiness, good health, and prosperity for all.

Happy new year, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment