Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Wordy Wednesday Post

Okay, so maybe I got it backwards... Most people do "Wordless Wednesday" posts consisting of a photo (or set of photos) that speak for themselves in some way. I was going to do that today (really, I was!) but couldn't find the right photo for it... so instead I'll do a little catching up with some photos that don't necessarily speak for themselves.

So, without further ado... some photos and words for a Wednesday post....!




The photo above may look a bit odd to you, but for us it's just another bit of the Pipsqueak cutely doing something silly just for the sake of doing something silly. (This particular example was from late February but is just one of many.) If I remember correctly, AJ's sweatshirt was a little loose, and Miri had been playing "peekaboo" with Grandma, so of course it was a perfectly natural thing for the Pipsqueak to walk up to Mommy and pull her sweatshirt over her head! She had the last laugh on Mommy, too -- while she was under there, the little joker untied AJ's sweatpants!






One of the Pipsqueak's favoritest things to do (Dude, you know that's not a real word, don't you?) is to bounce on Grandma & Grandpa's bed. It's king size, with a squishy foam topper under the sheet -- a perfect playground for an extra-bouncy little bundle of energy like Miri! Any blurring in the above photos is UNintentional; she just tends to move too fast for the camera to keep up!




A couple of weeks ago, we all got together for dinner with some of "my" longtime friends. (I put "my" in quotes because these folks have known my family so long -- some going back to 7th grade! -- that there's a built-in expectation that AJ and my folks will join us for many events.) Walking back to our cars after dinner, we came across this large rock in the parking lot that just grabbed something in Miri's imagination and would not let go. She started off by marveling at how biiiiig the rock was and from there launched into a long, enthralling story about the rock, Ariel (from "The Little Mermaid'), a missing princess crown, a trip to a castle, and the long, adventurous journey she took to help Ariel retrieve the stolen crown with the rock's help. At least that's what I think the story was about; the Pipsqueak was improvising it as she went along, adding & subtracting characters, events and locales as the mood suited, and making the plot become increasingly convoluted until (after roughly ten minutes of very involved free-form storytelling) we were too chilled to stand around any longer. (In the photo, Miri is quite literally making a point about how important it was for her to recover the missing crown.) It was wonderful, and maybe even a tit reassuring, to see and hear the amazing breadth & depth of my niece's imagination and her ability to construct a story from literally nothing more than a big ol' rock in a shopping center's parking lot.




There's no wild flight of imagination in this photo, just a little girl and her Grandma enjoying an impromptu hug. :-)  The big white thing the Pipsqueak is holding is the same baby blanket we took to China back in 2010; a soft, fuzzy "blankie" with a 3-D Pooh face in the middle. It scared the bejabbers out of Miri at the time, but she wasn't home with us for too long before naming it "Kiki" and deciding it was a favorite companion/toy. Poor Kiki had gotten rather grey & stained, so Grandma had washed him/her/it and Miri was amazed at how soft and fuzzy Kiki had become.  The hug in the photo was 50% "thank you, Grandma" and 50% "I love you, Grandma."





And that's it for this particular Wordy Wednesday... I'll post again in a day or two, I've got a new story to tell y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment