Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Just A Quickie

Dad had his other eye worked on this week (I think this family is single-handedly paying the surgeon's mortgage!), so it became my job to pick up the Pipsqueak at day care. Each day, she'd come running up to me with a big smile, give me a quick hug, and happily ask where we were going while pulling me toward the door.  I'd slow things down, get her into her jacket, shepherd her to the car (usually while having to explain why I'd parked where I'd parked), get her strapped into her seat, and hit the road. Our exchange the first day went a little like this...

"So what did you do today in school?"

"I played!"

"Played? You mean you were in school all day and all you did was play?"

(Laughs) "Yes! I play!"

"Well, if you were in school all day and were playing and now I have to go to work, why don't you go to work for me and I'll go and play?"

(Laughs) "Noooo!"

"And why not?"

(Laughing even louder) "Because I not a grownup! You have to go to work but not me!"



Sometimes I think my niece understands how the world works better than I do...!

No comments:

Post a Comment