Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, August 10, 2013

In Which the Pipsqueak Defines Herself More Clearly...

The Pipsqueak knows who she is, and who everyone in the family is, and them's the rules.

She'll often interrupt what she's doing (especially if she's with at least some of her grownups) to happily point out that we are all a family, and that we are her family. She also likes to tell me I'm her uncle (the emphasis is Miri's) and, even though she seems to be having trouble remembering the word "niece," she likes it when I agree that I'm her uncle and that she is my niece.  (Dude, you'd better be careful what you say 'cause that seems to be the only word she's having trouble remembering...!)

Of course, being four, the Pipsqueak also has a few alternate identities (most involving the title of "Princess")... The most interesting came after her preschool class talked about birds and she saw her first picture of pink flamingos in their classic one-legged pose. That evening, in the middle of her bath, she stood up nekkid & dripping, put her elbows out like wings, tucked one leg up under her tush, and told AJ proudly, "I a mingo!"

That may be all well and good but on the other hand, if one of us identifies her in a manner other than those she has approved, the correction will be swift and forceful. For example...

Earlier this week, Miri was as usual having a wonderful time treating Grandma & Grandpa's big bed like a playground (under the nervously watchful eyes of Mommy and Grandma). After gleefully ignoring Mommy's plaintive question of whether or not she was ready to go home for the evening she began to twirl rapidly in place.  AJ made a comment to Mom about the little whirling dervish on the bed and Miri stopped, put on her Teacher Face, and with hands on hips loudly proclaimed, "I am not a dervish! I am a child!"

Nope, no identity crisis here...!


No comments:

Post a Comment