Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Friday, January 17, 2014

A Little Less Pipsqueakish

Okay... I know that if everything goes the way it's supposed to, little kids don't remain "little kids" for a terribly long time. I regularly have little bouts of "Yikes!" when I look at my niece and compare what I see to my mental photo gallery of that tiny little person that was handed to my sister in July of 2010, but every now and then I have a bigger "YIKES!" when I get an even clearer picture of how much less of a pipsqueak the Pipsqueak has become.

Take, f'rinstance, this photo:


I took this shot almost exactly one year ago, just after making several more holes in the walls of my sister's house. The Pipsqueak was excited to have her very own coat hanger, and happily hung up her jackets after thanking me for my efforts.  Look closely... See how Miri's reaching up to place a jacket on one of the pegs, and how the pegs are slightly above her head? See how the shelf is above the pegs, even higher above the Pipsqueak?

Well... When I was over at AJ's about two weeks back, I noticed that the shelf is now directly in Miri's line of sight, and the top of her head is visibly above the shelf.

YIKES!

Don't get me wrong; the Pipsqueak's still easy to lose in a crowd, and we still make jokes about affixing one of those tall bicycle flags to her when we go out... but holy moly, she's growing!

<sigh>

Don't be in such a rush, kiddo... You're aging your uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment