Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bits of This and That

Ooh, I did it again.  I let the blog sit without any actual blogging.

I'd scold myself but the truth is that my exhaustion meter has been pegged for a while... I swear it's gotten to the point where the needle's pushed the aforementioned peg aside and is moving so far into long wavelengths that it's registering heat instead of color.

There have been job issues, weather issues, job issues, medical issues, job issues, and did I mention that I think my job is trying to kill me?  (Example: This past Friday, I trudged through my front door at 3:58am... after dodging not one, but two drunk drivers on the way home.)

So lemme stop bellyaching and try to type some adoption-related and/or Pipsqueak-related stuff before trying to catch up on all the missing shuteye. (Note to whatever power or powers run the universe: Next time around, could you please rearrange the laws of entropy so that the tiredness from one disrupted night of sleep does not require one full week of sleep to make up?  And while you're at it, please fix that odd law that says one small messy area in a clean room will spread to cover the entire room in messiness but that one small clean area in a messy room will simply shrink to nothing with nary a whimper? Thanks in advance...!)

The big news is that the Pipsqueak is officially no longer really a pipsqueak: she finally inched an ounce or two past the 40 pound mark, so now AJ is shopping for booster seats and the child seats that have been a permanent fixture of all family vehicles will soon be replaced! Miri seems to be less excited about it than her (crazy) uncle, but it's a milestone we've all been hoping to reach "any day now" for close to a year. Of course, things being what they are 'round these parts, AJ figured out exactly which booster seat she wanted (and even had a Plan B model in mind) only to find the store she'd checked out and priced out also happened to be sold out -- not just of booster seats, but sold out of EVERYTHING because they'd planned to move to a new location but (according to sales staff) the contract fell through just after they held a massive "all inventory must go!" sale that AJ somehow missed the adverts for. They promised her the booster seats she wants will be available again next week, so stay tuned...

Miri has also exhibited at her first science fair, and received a Certificate of Excellence. That is, she exhibited at what the school calls a "science share" and was partnered with BFF H, and I have yet to see their "share" project (Dude, you were just at your sister's house this evening and you forgot to remind her to show you!  D'oh!) The funny bit is that when AJ texted me a photo of the certificate, I responded by saying I thought it was way cool and was wondering what M thought about it -- and AJ's reply was that she didn't really know because at the beginning of the event her daughter was too busy crying because she didn't think she looked pretty enough compared to the other girls!  Seems that many of the other mommies got a (totally invisible and imaginary) memo to dress their kids up a bit for the display but the (totally invisible and imaginary) memo never made it to my sister's desk. Lesson learned!  (I did get a chance to ask Miri how she felt about it earlier tonight, and she simply replied "good" before asking for my phone so she could play a game on it. Aah, priorities...!)

Argh... I know there's lots of other stuff I wanted to post, but (even though you can't tell), nearly ten minutes passed between my typing this sentence and the ending parenthesis of the preceding paragraph, unseen by me because I dozed off while contemplating what to type next. I'll try to pick up the thread in a near-future post, but for the moment I think it's best if Miri's Uncle Brian puts his laptop someplace safe and goes to sleep....

G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment