Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, November 14, 2015

And So It Begins...

Every now and then I've referred (usually in passing) to some of the issues adoptees face that are simply not part of the everyday life of non-adoptees.  Even back during the long wait to meet Miri, we would sometimes discuss how we would approach the expected questions as she grew older. There was never any question of trying to hide the fact that she was adopted -- as if the obvious physical differences would be invisible! -- and we have always kept an eye out for good resources, information, etc. on how to discuss the various issues associated with adoption once the Pipsqueak was old enough to really wrap her head around it.

(What issues, you ask?  Howzabout explaining to a six year old child why the family she was born into put her down one day and walked away?  Miri was lucky, being left at a medical center; we know of children who were found in a box in an alleyway, under the bench of a bus stop, in a dumpster, in a sewer... and despite knowing their Finding Spot, no one can tell them where they were actually born with more certitude that the name of the county.)

In any case, we long ago decided to be as matter-of-fact as possible about adoption, and to let the Pipsqueak set the timing & pace of more advanced discussion.

I suspect some of those discussions will be starting very soon.

Y'see, a few of Miri's classmates mommies are pregnant, and the kids are excited about having new siblings on the way.  Somewhere along the way, the most basic of "where do babies come from?" answers began making the rounds leading to the following question the Pipsqueak presented to her Mommy earlier this week...

"Mommy, if babies come from their mommies' tummies but I was born in China and didn't come from your tummy, where did I come from?"

This is gonna be interesting; I'm actually looking forward to seeing how my smart little niece processes this...

No comments:

Post a Comment