Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Friday, February 12, 2016

Aaaaalmost there...

What I hadn't counted on when I made my last post about checking back "in 48 hours" was having my 2TB external backup drive suddenly stop mounting (roughly half the drive was automatic Time Machine backups, the other half folders with videos & photos I didn't have backed up anywhere else). After a couple of very nervous days and a nearly $300 bill I hadn't budgeted for (still looking for work!), I began the ultimately successful process of recovering everything on the recalcitrant drive and moving all the non-Time Machine material to a new 3TB external drive... and then spent a couple of days burning everything onto CDs and DVDs...

All that was very time-consuming but just as I thought I'd be able to get back to blogging and the rest of my life, I discovered that I'd missed another still-ongoing problem where, since about halfway through my disc-burning marathon, the storage space on my laptop has been slowly but very steadily disappearing. For example, I deleted about 75MB of files from the laptop today but have about half a Gigabyte LESS space than when I started this morning. (Taking into account email, backups, new files, et al., to date at least 60GB of storage is MIA.) So far, some interesting suggestions from Apple's support databases & community but no cures or explanations...

Meanwhile, I finally managed to upload a bunch of images to the server for the blog, so (assuming this fakakte computer doesn't suddenly go "BOOM!" or something similar) I WILL be posting about all the stuff the Pipsqueak's been doing since the end of last year!

Hang in there gang... Please!  <whimper>


No comments:

Post a Comment