Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Friday, March 4, 2016

Reputation? WHAT Reputation...?

Yes, I am now at least two full months behind in posting. No, this is not a "catch up" post because I'm still writing all the posts I need to catch up with. No apologies this time, I'm just going to say that life is a little bit complicated and leave it at that. I will get y'all caught up... sometime... this year!

That said, AJ told me something today I just had to share, and it's short, so here goes...

AJ is the co-leader of the Pipsqueak's Daisy troop. (For those not familiar, Daisies become Brownies become Girl Scouts.) At this week's meeting, one of the little girls came up to her with one of those quizzical looks you know means you're gonna get A Question.

The little girl excused herself, then held up her hand with the middle finger raised and asked, "At school, someone told me this means a bad word. Does it really?"

My sister answered something like, "Yes, that's right, you should really talk to your mommy about it. That's something we don't say or show to other people."

Right on cue, the Pipsqueak shifted into Schoolmarm Mode to make sure her troop mate understood the severity of the problem. "Yes, that means the F word. I've overheard my uncle Brian say it."

Gaaaah....!

(I swear I'm careful, I really am. The kid's like two-foot-nothing tall but her ears rival the power of the Areceibo radio antenna.)

<sigh>

So much for my reputation with the Daisy troop.




PS - In my own defense, I did not teach my niece the F word. She overheard it (apparently several times) in school and asked me about it in the car one day on the way home from school, and she's never actually uttered it aloud.  Just to keep the record straight, 'K? LOL

PPS - I know I don't have a lot of followers, but if you signed up to follow this blog with Google Friend Connect, Google has announced that service was officially discontinued a while back but now they're wiping out its last remnants in the Blogger world. Here's an excerpt from their notice: "We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow. I know Picasa will also soon go the way of the Dodo and T-Rex but that'll be my problem, not yours. Again, if anyone reading this used Google Friend Connect to follow, please follow the Big G's instrux if you're interested. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment