Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Catching Up: That's a Lot of Years, Uncle Brian!



Quick note: I began working on this post shortly before hearing about the recent horror in Orlando. I put it aside and started composing another "What Kind of World is My Niece Growing Up In?" post but decided that the answer to that question is painfully obvious, and the answers to the many questions about how to deal with it are either still being formed or too contentious for this blog.  I'll just remind everyone that all those other people you see around you have the exact same rights you do -- and always remember to tell the people you love that you love them when you get the chance because you might never have another chance to tell them.



This is a short post because it's as much about me as the Pipsqueak... but I like sharing milestones with y'all.

We had a nice, low-key celebration of my birthday back in March, unusually on the actual date (the 5th). There was no big party or tons of people in the house, just some nice time shared with my immediate family.

An edible bouquet made a very nice centerpiece during lunch --
and was a great dessert after we had some brownie cake!
Mom wisely went with "one to celebrate and one to grow on" instead of the
massive conflagration that would've resulted from one candle per year of age...
So now I'm more than halfway through my "fifty-something" years and have had enough practice at it to avoid totally freaking out at how old I've become. (Dude, as long as you're pushing daisies down instead of up, you're doing alright!) It doesn't help that my loving niece will laughingly exclaim, "Wow, that's a LOT of years!" every time she asks how old I am, but the truth is that somewhere in the back of my mind I'm still only in my early twenties and still firmly believe that all these aches & funny joint noises are just the result of not working out enough. (And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

And, just to make sure there's still some Pipsqueak content in this post, here's a photo I took as she & AJ prepared to head back home.  Miri had begun trying "big girl" shoes in February, and I was happily surprised to see her putting on regular lace-up sneakers as opposed to the usual Velcro models she's worn since she came home. As is common with my niece, she tied one shoe and then decided she'd done enough & Mommy had to do the other one for her  because she was "too tired" to do it herself. (It's cool; this is actually a joke with her 95% of the time and not the kind of problem that it might sound like.) You can see she's providing Mommy with specific instructions on how to complete her assigned task correctly -- thus reassuring one & all that it truly is Miri sitting on the stairs and not some other kid hired for the picture.

Oh, and I have another semi-Pipsqueakism... Miri is one of those people who goes around singing all the time. She'll usually make up her own words & melodies, but sometimes we'll get (her version of) popular music she's heard somewhere. It was sometime around my birthday when we noticed her singing something that had apparently started out as "The Star-Spangled Banner," so Grandma gave her an impromptu lesson on what a national anthem was, how it was used, etc. When asked if she knew what our national anthem was used for, Miri thought quietly for a moment with a perplexed expression, then smiled and said, "BASEBALL!"  :-)



My 57th might have been quiet and low-key, but that's kind of the way I like my birthday at this point... and I got to share it with the people that mean the most to me, so it's all good. Now if I could just stand up straight without creaking so much...

PS - I'm trying to post more often so I can catch up and stay more current in the future -- but lately my laptop's had other ideas so I may "disappear" for a few days sometime soon to do a complete wipe and reinstall of the operating system & all my applications, widgets, files, and stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment