Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Lookin' Out My Back Door...

Just a quickie as I go thru all the photos for my next post... (Extra brownie points for any readers who recognize the reference in my title!)

I often work at my dining room table (at least at the roughly 1/4 of the table that's not covered with notebooks, textbooks, craft materials, etc.) and enjoy looking out the sliding door that makes up the back wall of the room.  My yard ain't nuthin' special, but since my block of townhouses backs up to a golf course there's a nice buffer zone of large trees that attract a lot of local wildlife.  I'm in an end unit so my neighbors have to trek through my yard (usually cutting the corner) with their garbage pails, recycling, lawnmowers, etc. -- so I keep thinking about fencing in the yard...  but then I wouldn't get to watch all the critters walking/waddling/creeping/hopping/crawling/winging past and/or chasing each other around like circus clowns, so there's probably no fencing in my future.

Without further ado, here are just few examples of what I normally see in my backyard; these photos span about 3 weeks in September (the deer have since gotten in their winter coats & are fluffier & grayer)...

 

Not included are the two families of rabbits (I forgot to take pictures of them), untold numbers of grey & black squirrels (usually moving too fast to focus on), the friendly neighborhood woodchuck (who usually waddles out of sight while I'm running to get my iPhone or camera), or the foxes that occasionally trot past (and usually disappear at warp 8 as soon as they see me watching).

Yeah, it's a little odd when people walk through my yard toting their garbage or recycling... but with all the action in my yard, I'd be foolish to fence myself in!

No comments:

Post a Comment