Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

First Dance Competition!

On February 15th, AJ & Miri headed for Goucher College's Kraushaar Auditorium in Baltimore for the Pipsqueak's first-ever competition as a member of the SBA Junior Dance Team.  (We originally thought they'd be commuting back & forth for three days, so finding out Miri's team only performed on Sunday elicited many deep sighs of relief.)

The even was hosted & run by Kids Artistic Review, and the team performed two numbers: a lyrical dance to a semi-acoustic version of "Don't Give Up" and a jazzy number to "Fierce" by Che'nelle.  The results were pretty darn good, with awards handed out all 'round (not just for being there, either).  All photos below are edited versions of the hi-res photos taken by the pros doing photo & video for the event and may (or may not!) be copyright 2019 KAR; I've tried to edit out as many of other people's kids as I could...

"Don't Give Up"




"Fierce"







As crazy as the travel & scheduling might be (not to mention that those costumes are freakin' expensive!), the Pipsqueak's absolutely thrilled to have made the team and is really dedicated to doing the best she can onstage -- so we're doing what we can to help her keep moving forward with this dream.

More competitions are on the schedule, so keep your eyes out for more pix!


(PS -- I probably won't post videos of competition performances, since there may be copyright issues plus I'd be putting a lot of other folks' children "out there" on the Internet without their knowledge/permission.)

No comments:

Post a Comment