Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Things Only Adoptive Families Hear

Sorry, been very busy -- so this late post is also going to be a short one (but there are several drafts in the pipeline).

As universal as raising a child may be, there are some experiences that are unique to families involved with adoption.  We've had our share (thankfully, mostly good) and have learned that they often come like a bolt out of the blue.

We went out for a late family dinner after the Pipsqueak performed in her school's talent show a couple of weeks ago.  It was a pleasant dinner, with the usual silliness & family stories -- plus our waitress remembered us (and Dad's slightly off-kilter humor) from our last visit so we were enjoying extra-good service.

We were trying to identify a mystery person in a photo for my family tree project when Miri came up with something that left Mom, Dad, and me staring open-mouthed at each other and my sister leaning on my shoulder because she was laughing so hard.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this...

"I miss my birth mother in China. I mean, she's only kind of my mother, I don't love her, or even know her, so I guess I don't really miss her, but I wonder what she was like, or if she's alive. I mean, I don't know if she's dead or alive, I guess she's probably still alive, but I'm kind of sorry she doesn't know who I am. I'm really glad you guys are my family but I feel sorry for her because she doesn't know me.  Mommy, can I have some more milk? Thanks!"

(The above should be read out loud in a very conversational tone but as one continuous stream-of-consciousness verbalization.)

I think the conversation moved along a little more along the lines of what most people would consider "normal" afterwards, but this is "normal" for my family... and no, we're not bored too frequently at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment