Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

New Names...?!

I've been calling my niece "Pipsqueak" since first meeting her.  (I mean, c'mon... she definitely was a pipsqueak!) As she became progressively less pipsqueakish, I asked her if it was OK to keep calling her that and each time she told me it was fine.  Of course I called her other things when we were goofing off -- like, f'rinstance, "George" -- but "Pipsqueak" has been my go-to private name for Miri since Day One.

I still call her "Pipsqueak" a lot, but for the past month or so we've been using different names that she decided on.  It started one day when we were all at Mom & Dad's house, and had (as usual) eaten a bit more than was advisable.  I was sitting on the couch in the family room with my very full belly sorta obvious (Dude, it was, like, sticking halfway out into the room, remember?), and Miri came over and whacked it a couple of times (as she is wont to do from time to time).

Apparently, she was amused by the sound of her makeshift biological drum and whacked me a couple of times more, stopping only when I poked her in the side and began to tickle her.  She then said something like, "You look like a Pooh bear, Winnie!" and I replied that I resembled that remark. After explaining what I meant, Miri started to laugh and said that I was "Winnie" so I responded by calling her "Piglet" -- and the names stuck.

Since then, she has decided that she has two names, since Mommy is Kanga and that means (exclusively for Mommy) she is Roo; Grandpa is Owl (I almost got that name because of all the questions I answer and all the homework I help with, but somehow Dad fit the bill better than I did); and Grandma is Rabbit.  She still uses the usual "Mommy" (or, increasingly, "Mom"), "Grandpa" or "Papa," and "Grandma," but it looks like I'm going to have to do some serious losing of girth before I lose the "Winnie" moniker.

So... If you're out & about and hear Yours Truly call his niece "Piglet," please don't be offended -- we're just enjoying each other's company while strolling through the Hundred Acre Wood.





No comments:

Post a Comment