Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes (Present Day)

We had an interesting "oops" at dinner tonight... AJ and the Pipsqueak were at our folks' and I headed over (late, as usual!) to lend a hand with some things & help eat all that good Mom Cooking.  My niece was her usual hyperactive self at dinner, spending time on her mommy's lap, then her uncle's lap (I've gotten quite good at eating one-handed!), then running around on her own... wash, rinse, repeat.

Somewhere in all that activity, while on her mommy's lap, the Pipsqueak knocked over a (thankfully almost empty) glass of water. AJ's immediate reaction while diving for the napkins was, "Oh, sh*t!"

Two seconds later, Little Miss Tape Recorder looks at the glass laying on its side and says, "Shuut!" (Not quite "shoot," not quite "shut"). I couldn't help myself, I burst into laughter and had to leave the room while my sister desperately tried to figure out how to un-say something that just slipped out. A few minutes go by, we don't hear it again and all the adults breathe a sigh of relief.

Then the Pipsqueak tries squeezing behind Grandpas' chair and knocks her head on the side.

"Shuut!"

. . .

We've spoken about having to be careful with our vocabulary, now we know it's absolutely necessary... Yes, indeedy...!  <8-P

(If you're wondering, she didn't say it again at all, hopefully all the vocabulary lessons we threw at her in the next few minutes sort of washed it out of her memory files... but I know the Pipsqueak, the damage is probably done. <g>)

I'll resume the "historical" postings shortly, stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment