Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Present Day: My Sister's First Mother's Day

This past Sunday was a real first for our family: Mom is finally a Grandma, and my sister is a Mommy. I, of course, had to be at work (this was one of those holidays where nobody, but nobody, was willing to swap MOD duty) but the rest of the regional mishpocha got together for a Mother's Day brunch. Later, when I finally pried loose from work, the four five of us had a semi-quiet dinner of takeout Chinese and just enjoyed some quality time together.

Everybody seemed impressed with the DVD "card" I'd made for AJ (we played it on the TV, and the Pipsqueak kept pointing at the screen with a big smile yelling, "MOMMY!")... Unfortunately Mom's new digital card is still in the works, the first draft having gone to that big bit bucket in the sky when iDVD blew up at one too many "oopses" on my part. Fortunately, Mom is happy to wait a couple of extra days. <whew>  Since the previous week at work even more awful than usual -- my earliest return home after work all week was approx. 1:45am -- I'm going to have to play apologetic catch-up with the other mommies in my immediate family. (If youse guys are reading this, your cards ARE coming...!)

The Pipsqueak was, as usual, somewhat exhausting but tons of fun to be around. When I got to my folks' house, she came running to the door to greet me, waved hello and yelled "HI!" and then went running back into the family room to hid behind Mommy. A couple of minutes later, she came running back up to me, pointed proudly to her brand-new bright pink footwear, and proudly said,  "Shoes!" so I'd be sure to notice them.  (She's a girly girl -- loves clothing & shoes, especially when complimented on how pretty she looks.) We all played with her, and I had a wonderful time attempting to eat one-handed while hanging onto her as she happily picked all the peas out of the various dishes on my plate.  We exchanged cards (and spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get a DVD to play on the folks' TV), talked about this & that, shared some happiness at a cousin's announcement that her son will soon add "big brother" to his title, discussed the possibility of attending another cousin's wedding in the Southwest, and generally just caught up on a crazy weekend. Eventually everybody's batteries ran down so AJ & the Pipsqueak headed back home and so did I.

It may not sound like much, but after all those years of waiting, uncertainty, waiting, wishing, waiting, hoping, renewals, and waiting... AJ was celebrating Mother's Day as a mommy. It was wonderful. :-)

Oh, two funny things from the evening... As Dad & I left the Chinese restaurant after picking up dinner, I overheard one of the father & son pair exiting behind us say, "That was pretty good -- I'd like to eat here on Thanksgiving and Passover, too!"  The second was what I found in my fortune cookie: "You will be showered by good luch."  If any of my readers could tell me what "luch" is, it'd be appreciated...  <:-)

In any case, I hope all mommies out there had a great day, and wish all the expectant & waiting mommies fast & happy new arrivals!

No comments:

Post a Comment