Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Quiet but Amazing Milestone

This isn't the post I'd planned on making -- I actually have one saved as a draft, ready to go online with a single mouseclick.  Instead, a truly amazing milestone snuck up on me (on the whole family) this weekend, and it's too important to let slide past without mention.

Yesterday (Saturday) marked the day that the Pipsqueak was with us for more time than not; we have finally reached the point where -- by a matter of hours when AJ realized it -- Miri has spent less than 50% of her life as an orphan.

I don't think I realized what that really meant until I'd slept on it (on the living room couch at a cousin's house; the other milestone this weekend is the Pipsqueak's first family trip). This little dynamo who's become the center of so much that we do has just now reached the point where we make up a full half of her entire life.  A few minutes ago I was showing our cousins some of the photos of the Pipsqueak at the Luchuan SWI (we never visited but were given a CD of photos the day after Gotcha Day), and suddenly it clicked that from now on that would just be where & how her life began -- but until yesterday that was how she'd spent most of her life.

But now when I look next to me at the little girl (with the dribble of miso soup on the front of her shirt) cuddling in her mommy's lap and burbling happily about a necklace she's playing with, I know that this is how the majority of her days have been and will be from now on... and the clouds & rain outside don't really matter all of a sudden.

We may be several hours away from where we live, but this is what "home" is all about.

And it's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment