Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes, Take 4

AJ had a birthday this week.

As birthdays go, it was nuthin' special; it fell on a rather nondescript day during the week, so she spent it at work. In fact, when I walked into her office quite a bit later than she'd normally be occupying it, she was trying to catch up on the the ridiculous amount of work that's been thrown her way... and trying, and trying... and finally she said something I'll not type here followed by "It's my birthday and I'm still at work so I'm going home!" (And that's what she did, but not before getting caught up in some other work stuff for another quarter hour.)

Since her birthday was during the week, Mom asked what she'd like to do on the weekend before... and AJ was so tired that all that got done was the five of us having carry-out from the neighborhood Cheeburger Cheeburger.  Not even a real birthday cake.

But my niece knew just what to do.  After our folks had picked her up at daycare, her Grandma explained that it was Mommy's birthday, and the Pipsqueak must've thought that was pretty special -- because when AJ finally got to our folks' house after that wide day at work, her little girl ran up to meet her at the door with a loud, 'happy birthday, Mommy!" (She was even okay with there not being any "happy cake" at dinner.)

And that, my friends, is a good birthday.

(And happy fortymumblemumble to my notsolittlenaymore sister!)

No comments:

Post a Comment