Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Just A Coupla Quick Pipsqueakisms

It's Rosh Hashonah so I'm keeping this short -- I have to get up early to make it to morning services but wanted to share a couple of things Miri came up with this evening.

She's got something against socks; always has, probably always will. Any chance to not wear socks with shoes is A Good Thing. So... fast-forward to the ride home from services this evening, for which she had donned a pretty summery frock (with a pair of shorts underneath "just in case") and a brand-spankin' new pair of shiny black party shoes. AJ had convinced her daughter that she would be wearing socks under her new shoes, but on the way home both shoes & socks were (as usual) moved to a location geographically separate from the general environs of the Pipsqueak's feet.  When told she had to put her socks back on to get out of the car & walk into Grandma & Grandpa's house for apples & honey, Miri insisted she did not, would not, could not need socks... and proved it by putting on both shoes and (with a big smile) saying, "See, Mommy? They cumpatle!"  (The best part is listening to AJ try to reproduce her daughter's version of "comfortable"!)

The other Pipsqueakism came not too long afterwards as I was strapping Miri into her seat. Suddenly, out of the blue, she looked at me, smiled, and said, "Uncle Brian, you are the right size for your head!"  Even the Jiujiu can't figure out where that one came from... but I'm taking it as a compliment. :-)

PS - I had one of those omigawd moments walking back to the car when the services had ended. There are several concrete benches outside the entrance, and as I watched my graceful, long-haired niece nonchalantly plop down onto one for a moment I flashed back to our first Rosh Hashonah with a semi-bald little toddler who walked like a drunken Frankenstein, when the same bench was roughly chest-high on her and she had to be lifted up to wobble up & down its length. To quote a newspaper cartoon Mom cut out & saved a while back, "The days are long but the years go fast!"

A "shana tovah" to one and all...!

No comments:

Post a Comment