Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Just A Minor Correction...

Mom wanted to get some cash the other day, and invited her granddaughter to come into the bank with her while Dad & I sat in the car (AJ was at work).  When they came back out about ten minutes later, Mom had a big smile on her face and was chuckling as she got into the car, then shared the source of her amusement as we drove away.

As usual around these parts, the teller (a young woman) had been addressing her as "Miss L-" this and "Miss L-" that, and the Pipsqueak had been getting a little more perturbed each time.  She finally had it with the situation after the eleventy-seventh "Miss L-" addressed to her Grandma and spoke up.

"Excuse me," she said to the teller, then pointed to her Grandma. "She is married, so she is a 'Missus'.  I'm not married, so I'm the 'Miss'."

Cue goggle-eyed, open mouthed teller expression while Mom unavoidably busted out laughing.

Like I've said before, my niece knows the Rules Of The Universe and doesn't hesitate to enforce them!  (To her credit, once the teller recovered her composure she smilingly apologized and corrected herself for the rest of the transaction.)

Quick note on my blogging: The last few weeks have been unexpectedly hectic, plus more & more of my legacy software (including, of course, the apps I use the most for both blogging and other work) have been going permanently nonfunctional as dinosaur-era verification servers are turned off. The result is an even worse-than-usual posting schedule here. I've scraped up the money for newer apps but now I have to upgrade my laptop's OS by a couple of versions to be able to run them... so I'm probably going to be pretty quiet for another couple of weeks.  I'm not stopping (and, unfortunately, not taking a vacation), I just wanted to warn y'all that it's going to continue to be kinda quiet around here until late July.

I'll be back -- and stay cool 'til then! 



No comments:

Post a Comment