Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Monday, December 20, 2021

Some of It Is Stopping, Kinda...

 Super-fast update...

First & foremost: The Pipsqueak's rapid COVID test came back negative. There was some anxiety because no matter what she or AJ did, they could not access the results through the online portal and had to wait until Sunday morning to try to get hold of someone via phone. The standard (slower) test results won't be back until Tuesday or Wednesday, but we're all breathing a heck of a lot easier now.  On the downside, another one of the girls tested positive but is asymptomatic.

The aides/agency: I'm still working up a single document listing all the invoices by date and things just keep getting weirder.  To add insult to injury, we've had Dad under the auspices of a hospice program since early this year -- not because he's on his way out, but because they have a longer-term program specifically for families in our situation (where the time period can be up to 2 or 3 years, rather than hospice's usual 2-3 months). Well, he gave us a bit of a medical scare last week and we're still arguing with them about getting a basic wide-spectrum blood test done. Worst case scenario, we find out what's going on and know we can't do anything about it; best case scenario, we find out what's going on and are able to do something about it. In either case, we at least know what the blazes is going on... and the lead doctor for the program is refusing to do anything but the most bare-bones basic test "...because you're not going to be able to do anything anyway."  Dealing with dementia is a soul-sucking horror straight out of an H.P. Lovecraft story, so thankyouverymuch to all the "helpers" and "providers" who keep making things worse instead of providing actual help and/or comfort.

My stupid camera: I've downloaded the user manuals for the two cameras in the running as replacements and will probably lay out far more money than I really should in a few days. <sigh>

Anyway, that first point was what I wanted to make sure I got out there, the rest kinda just slipped out because I really needed to vent... Sorry for hijacking your blog-reading time, gang.

Oh, we had a (very) small family celebration dinner Sunday night to recognize Miriam's scholastic achievements, and she's really looking forward to getting back into her classes once the winter break is over (she's still in school this week, but pretty much everyone's slacking off for the holidays).

Also, since I'm not entirely sure I'll be making another post before 2022 rolls around, I just want to wish all my readers a very happy holiday season and a happy, prosperous, and HEALTHY new year!

Y'all be careful out there, okay?



No comments:

Post a Comment