Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy Gotcha Day, Pipsqueak!

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY...

My sister and I had a late breakfast at the hotel in Nanning, then passed some time as I did my best to keep us both on an even keel while AJ triple-double-triple-checked all the paperwork. We had lunch with the other two families, then all tried to keep ourselves occupied until it was time to go meet the kiddos. We walked around the hotel grounds in a group, we talked about this & that... and then it was time to board the bus.

The building we went to was a partially converted hotel with ridiculously tiny, stifling hot elevators. We walked into a large room, sparsely furnished & decorated a little like a kindergarten, and busied ourselves setting up a video camera here, checking camera angles there, and generally trying to not explode with the simultaneous impatience & fear of not being ready.

I prowled the room, took a few photos, and tried to stay cool, clam & collected. Then I heard some noise in the hall and peeked out a door to see several adults with very little children; my calm reaction was to run back to the sofa where AJ was nervously wringing her hands while calling out, "I SEE BABIES!"

Several people walked in, two leading toddlers by the hand and one carrying a tiny, nearly bald baby sucking her thumb. The toddlers were each introduced to their new parents & older sisters, and then...


...at 3:33pm on the afternoon of Dad's 80th birthday my sister finally got to hold her daughter in her arms. They checked each other out thoroughly, and we were thrilled with the lack of tears... and after about 15 minutes AJ was able to let go long enough for me to hold my niece on my lap for the first time.


I know a lot of other things happened that day... but they're all small stuff. :-)

Happy Gotcha Day, Pipsqueak!

Happy birthday, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment