My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On Year Ago Today (July 19, 2010/2011)

Aaahh, Tuesday... Probably the most nondescript day of the week. Wednesday is "hump day" right in the middle; Thursday means "tomorrow is Friday;" Friday is the last day of the work week; Saturday's the beginning of the weekend and Sunday's the end; Monday is the first day of the work week... but poor Tuesday is kind of just... there. At least it proves you made it through Monday in one piece...!

One year ago today... We slept to the insanely late hour of 8:30, then walked to the nearby clinic for the kiddos' medical exams (probably the most cursory I've ever seen, but exams nonetheless). AJ and I were reassured by frequent Pooh sightings (she's a big fan of Winnie the Pooh... and the full set of books she has originally lived in my room about 40 years ago), and the Pipsqueak very quickly proved she had lung power far in excess of her physical size. For the rest of the day, she was super-clingy, wailing loudly if not being held by Mommy or Uncle.

Somehow we got through that, helping demolish a really big lunch at a nearby restaurant, then getting more paperwork done in the White Swan's playroom, even fitting in a longevity nap in the afternoon. Later on, we finally said a sad goodbye to Lisa, who'd been our guide / lifesaver / hand-holder / errand runner / lotsofothergoodstuff since we'd left Beijing; there were a lot of red eyes & damp cheeks as we walked to Lucy's for dinner, but we finished the day in good spirits with the knowledge that the only remaining hurdle was acceptance of our paperwork & a visit to the U.S. Consulate.

Meanwhile, back in the present day (2011)... the Pipsqueak had a restless night but seemed to be very much her usual self when AJ dropped her at the daycare center.  It turned out to be a quiet day for everyone, with the only difference from past Tuesdays of a year (or more) ago being the phone conversation I had with Mom about how much fun it was to be with the Pipsqueak & how she's added several new words (all used correctly the first time around!) to her vocabulary in just the past few days.

Hmm... there I go, sounding like a proud uncle again... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment