Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

One Year Ago Today (July 10 2010/2011)...

AJ and I arrived in Beijing on a grey & rainy day, bleary-eyed, sleep-deprived, feeling a little lost, and running with more adrenaline in our veins than hemoglobin... We couldn't find our guide at first because we arrived 40+ minutes early and she hadn't gotten to the terminal yet, then we found the entire front of our hotel was missing due to construction/renovation, then we discovered we had absolutely no idea whatsoever what to order for dinner.... strike that, how to order dinner...

...and we actually had a really good time with it all. :-)

The hallway outside our hotel room.
The adventure in China may be a year in the past, but the adventure of life as Jiu Jiu to the Pipsqueak continues! I've had problems accessing the blog lately but things seem more stable now, so hopefully I'll be able to keep posting "One year ago today..." notes over the coming two weeks and then get back to my usual commentary, reminiscing, and silliness on a regular basis...

PS - BIG family event this coming weekend, the Pipsqueak gets her Hebrew name (and we celebrate her Grandpa's 81st birthday)!




No comments:

Post a Comment