Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Aaalmost There...

I'm actually posting this from my iPhone, via the Blogger app... So you know (mostly) how this story ends.

 I found literally thousands of online complaints just like mine, with only one solution that seemed guaranteed to work: wipe the phone & restore it as a completely new one, then wipe & restore it from backup and pray the backup didn't re-install all the corrupted files that caused the problem in the first place. 

This was a time-consuming process, so I took the laptop & phone to work with me so I could just let everything run for hours uninterrupted. During a quiet moment, I set everything up, took a deep breath, plugged in the iPhone...

...and before I could click on the "Restore" button, the damn thing started to back itself up & sync normally as if the previous several days of rage-inducing failures never happened.

Oh, sure, I had to do about a dozen sync sessions because iTunes would only download my apps 5-6 at a time and some of my data (amazingly little, to be honest) went to that big bit bucket in the sky, but by the time I was ready to head back home things were in pretty good shape... The solution having been as mysterious as the onset of the problem.

Now I just have to get used to the changes in iOS, figure out how to recover storage space lost to a couple of new Apple apps I neither want nor need but can't delete, and figure out why I lose about 10% of my battery charge per hour with the phone just in standby -- but at least it's recognizably a working iPhone again.

I also still have to figure out how to straighten out my laptop, but that'll be a whole new rant on another day. Right now it's 4:18am (got home at 3:00) and I'm supposed to be back at my desk before 10:00 for Weekend Manager duty (riiiight....), so goodnight!   

No comments:

Post a Comment