Welcome!

My niece joined the family on July 12th, 2010. This special young lady's mother is my younger sister, which in classic Chinese culture makes me her Jiu Jiu (舅舅) -- thus the title of this blog. Here I intend to semi-regularly post reflections, thoughts, stories, and assorted whathaveyous pertaining to our trip to China, adoption in general, and (mostly) watching my niece grow up. Since the web is a very public place, I will attempt to maintain my family's privacy while telling the story... but I invite you to follow the blog and come along for the adventure!

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Thanks fer Nuthin', Apple... sigh.

Please excuse the tech rant, but there's a reason this blog's been so quiet lately.

As I mentioned some time ago, I have a new laptop.

I followed all the directions to move all my data, settings, etc. over from the old laptop... and now I have three(!)  separate user accounts on this thing.

I've spent several hundred dollars on replacing important software that I've used for years that won't run on the newer system architecture, or trying to find replacements for favorite utilities & games that went bye-bye with the introduction of beach-names operating systems (as opposed to those named after big cats).

The icing on the cupcake? Monday night, the damn thing bricked my iPhone. I was up 'til 4:00am just getting it to work again, and then iTunes suddenly began complaining that it could not sync any data or apps with the phone because it needs 1 megabyte of space and I only have 1.22 gigabytes available. (That's not a typo.)  I think I've found a (slow, labor-intensive and risky) way to fix the problem, and it's how I plan to spend at least 2-3 hours of my time tomorrow.

Oh, yeah... the new laptop intermittently refuses to talk to my printer because of a mysterious version incompatibility error with the drivers I was told I needed to install... Same as my pen tablet.

For what it's worth, the new MacBook Pro is light & fast, and the Retina Display shocked me by actually helping ease my eyestrain, so it's not all bad -- I just can't get the damn thing to let me do what I need to do, when I need to do it, how I need to do it...!

So please forgive me for not posting much here lately... I've wanted to but couldn't! With a little luck, I'll be back on the air in another couple of days.

(In the meantime, a big l'shana tova to one and all!)


No comments:

Post a Comment